Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Do you have snow yet?

Normally this time of year we have a good ground covering of snow.  Not this year, sniff, sniff.  Right now we have a light dusting of snow which is in danger of melting with one warm sunny day. Not that I enjoy the cold weather that comes with snow, but I do like a white Christmas.
In the meantime, I'll keep hooking snowmen rugs.  This one is a Kelley Belfast design and I just love it. Kelley has a special knack with snowmen! I'm giving this guy as a gift and I'm contemplating making it into a pillow. I used my Oxford punch on this rug and hooked it entirely with yarn.  The colors just make me smile!

Here is Kelley's original hooked rug
I have to give a shout out to a few people with this rug.  First, obviously,  Kelley for the great design.  Second, is Ali Strebel of Kindred Spirits for her wonderful yarn selection.  I used her yarn in the scarve and the yarn looks like hooked wool.  The rest of the rug was hooked with bits and pieces I have gathered over the years. Believe it or not much of the yarn used was not wool!   Lastly, I steamed the rug with one of the irons Kris Miller sells.  Her irons are the bomb. There is no need to wet a cloth and steam the rug.  With this iron, you just place the iron on the rug and steam away.  Literally, within minutes the whole rug is done.  I wish I would have told you all this secret before Christmas so you could have put one on your Christmas list. Enjoy the holidays and have Merry Christmas! Maria  

13 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Maria ~
What a sweet snowman rug! I really need to get the Oxford punch needle out of the box and try it one of these days!
Merry Christmas!!!
Hugs :)
Lauren

HomeSpunPrims said...

Maria,
I love Kelley's snowmen too! Both of your renditions are wonderful. Merry Christmas, Lori

Anonymous said...

No snow in Chicagoland either; in fact it's raining today- ugh!!! love the colors you used in the snowman piece; so folk arty!

WoolenSails said...

I love how it came out, looks wonderful in yarn.
I need to get out my oxford, fun to do different types of rugs.

Debbie

primitivebettys said...

Just wonderful rugs... yours & Kelley's! Merry Christmas to you & your family. I hope you get some snow... to make your wishes come true!

patijane's primitives said...

Wonderful snowman rugs and I really like your color choices!!! No snow here in Oklahoma. Hope you get your wish for snow. Merry Christmas to you and your family

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Very sweet little mat, Maria!! I gotta get that punch needle out, too ~ like Lauren!!

Anonymous said...

love this snowman!! I've got the oxford and really need to use it!! You've inspired me to get going...lol.
patti

Anonymous said...

Love that rug Maria. Kelley sure does make me best snowmen.
Merry Christmas.

Hillcresthome Prims said...

Hi Maria, WOOOHOOO, I found your blog and LOVE it. Your hook rugs are amazing, breath taking. I wish I could hook rug.
I LOVE snowmen and the colors you used are fabulous!!!!

I told my husband I might try a small hook rug and see how I do. I have 2 left hands.
I have a blog to, come on by I love getting new follower's.
Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!,
Tricia

s said...

No snow here I hope it is coming. Love all the snow man rugs. I have never played with my Oxford punch either. Hey Lauren and Alice maybe we need a punch date. Maria I wish you would have mentioned the iron earlier.
Sheila

CharRube said...

I just can't keep up with your gorgeous things, Maria! I feel so blessed to have found your company and have enjoyed so many hours this fall hooking your fabulous rugs. I can't wait to all that is to come! (Hook faster, hook faster!)

Merry Christmas!
Connie

CharRube said...

Wow! So cute.. I love everything with snowmen . I think we are (central Illinois ) getting snow tonight!