Follow by Email

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Design Process

I've been working on some new designs for Spring and hope to have them on my website soon. The other day I was drawing out one of my new designs and thought I'd share with you my creative process. When I design a new pattern, I just start doodling and tweaking until I come up with a design I like. You can see from this partial line drawing all the eraser and smudge marks this design has gone through while tweaking it. I am still trying to decide what Mr. Rabbit will be pushing in his wheel barrel. Maybe a chick or a pot of tulips.

Once the line drawing is finished, I enlarge the pattern and transfer it to my linen and start hooking. Oftentimes when I hook the pattern, I change the pattern as the line drawing doesn't always translate from paper to hooking as I had planned. When I'm done hooking the rug, I trace over the design using freezer paper and redraw the design. Maybe a little unorthodox but it works for me!

As for hooking the rug, rarely after I organize the wool for my rug do I use all of it in the rug. Actually, you should see my studio after I start hooking a rug. It is a disaster! I find myself pulling more and more wool to try in the rug and doing more reverse hooking than hooking. After 15 years , you would think it would get easier to color plan a rug but color continues to be a daily struggle for me. When I begin to hook this rug, I'll post some pictures of the rug in progress and the reverse hooking. Maria

No comments: