Sunday, May 13, 2018

Press and Seal - Have you used it?

Press and Seal is not just for leftovers anymore!  It should be in all your Hooking and Punch needle Bags. I was first introduced to it last summer while teaching at the Manistee Rug Camp in Manistee Michigan. {Huge shoutout to a wonderful camp!!} One of my students put some over the top of rug to keep that pesky wool dust for imbedding in the rug she was Hooking. BRILLIANT! 

It was too good a tip not to share with the class so I showed everyone everyone the tip and many of the gals also had Press and Seal in their bags and they started to share other ways to use it. One of my favorites was to use it when Oxford punching to cover the front side of  your work so as not to pull out your loops when you detach it from a gripper frame. 

So fast word to today. I was Punch Needling a larger design and I had part of my finished design over the gripper  strips. When I went to move my Needle Punch Piece, I forgot to be gentle with it and snagged many loops. Darn it! But that’s when I remembered what the ladies in Manistee had taught me about Press and Seal and knew it would work with Needle Punch as well.


I pulled  it out out the drawer and cut a piece to just cover the design that would be over the gripper strips and pressed it on the design.

        

 My design wasn’t the whole width of the the gripper strips so I was able to still get some of weavers cloth to grip the gripper strips while protecting the finished piece. 

And the weavers cloth is tight as a drum on the frame and I can finish it without worrying about damaging my finished piece. 

Press and Seal for the win! Thanks for stopping, Maria 








1 comment:

Mary A said...

Press and seal is used when I embroider too! Just draw my design on it and place the press and seal where I want to embroider and go to it! Right thru the press and seal! When I'm done, I just gently pull away the press and seal.