Follow by Email

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Do you have snow yet?

Normally this time of year we have a good ground covering of snow.  Not this year, sniff, sniff.  Right now we have a light dusting of snow which is in danger of melting with one warm sunny day. Not that I enjoy the cold weather that comes with snow, but I do like a white Christmas.
In the meantime, I'll keep hooking snowmen rugs.  This one is a Kelley Belfast design and I just love it. Kelley has a special knack with snowmen! I'm giving this guy as a gift and I'm contemplating making it into a pillow. I used my Oxford punch on this rug and hooked it entirely with yarn.  The colors just make me smile!

Here is Kelley's original hooked rug
I have to give a shout out to a few people with this rug.  First, obviously,  Kelley for the great design.  Second, is Ali Strebel of Kindred Spirits for her wonderful yarn selection.  I used her yarn in the scarve and the yarn looks like hooked wool.  The rest of the rug was hooked with bits and pieces I have gathered over the years. Believe it or not much of the yarn used was not wool!   Lastly, I steamed the rug with one of the irons Kris Miller sells.  Her irons are the bomb. There is no need to wet a cloth and steam the rug.  With this iron, you just place the iron on the rug and steam away.  Literally, within minutes the whole rug is done.  I wish I would have told you all this secret before Christmas so you could have put one on your Christmas list. Enjoy the holidays and have Merry Christmas! Maria  

13 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Maria ~
What a sweet snowman rug! I really need to get the Oxford punch needle out of the box and try it one of these days!
Merry Christmas!!!
Hugs :)
Lauren

HomeSpunPrims said...

Maria,
I love Kelley's snowmen too! Both of your renditions are wonderful. Merry Christmas, Lori

adailydoseoffiber said...

No snow in Chicagoland either; in fact it's raining today- ugh!!! love the colors you used in the snowman piece; so folk arty!

WoolenSails said...

I love how it came out, looks wonderful in yarn.
I need to get out my oxford, fun to do different types of rugs.

Debbie

primitivebettys said...

Just wonderful rugs... yours & Kelley's! Merry Christmas to you & your family. I hope you get some snow... to make your wishes come true!

patijane's primitives said...

Wonderful snowman rugs and I really like your color choices!!! No snow here in Oklahoma. Hope you get your wish for snow. Merry Christmas to you and your family

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Very sweet little mat, Maria!! I gotta get that punch needle out, too ~ like Lauren!!

Raspberry Lane Primitives said...

love this snowman!! I've got the oxford and really need to use it!! You've inspired me to get going...lol.
patti

♥ Cabin Creek Farm ♥ said...

Love that rug Maria. Kelley sure does make me best snowmen.
Merry Christmas.

Hillcresthome Prims said...

Hi Maria, WOOOHOOO, I found your blog and LOVE it. Your hook rugs are amazing, breath taking. I wish I could hook rug.
I LOVE snowmen and the colors you used are fabulous!!!!

I told my husband I might try a small hook rug and see how I do. I have 2 left hands.
I have a blog to, come on by I love getting new follower's.
Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!,
Tricia

s said...

No snow here I hope it is coming. Love all the snow man rugs. I have never played with my Oxford punch either. Hey Lauren and Alice maybe we need a punch date. Maria I wish you would have mentioned the iron earlier.
Sheila

CharRube said...

I just can't keep up with your gorgeous things, Maria! I feel so blessed to have found your company and have enjoyed so many hours this fall hooking your fabulous rugs. I can't wait to all that is to come! (Hook faster, hook faster!)

Merry Christmas!
Connie

CharRube said...

Wow! So cute.. I love everything with snowmen . I think we are (central Illinois ) getting snow tonight!