Monday, March 7, 2011

What I'm working on Wednesday post........

There hasn't been a whole lot of hooking happening at the Barton house. My studio is in a state of disarray and I have devoted most of my free time {ie. hooking time} trying to clean and organize it. If I get brave enough I'll show you a picture of it. I'll have to think about it a while........

Ok, thought about it....and I gotta believe that I am not the only person out there with a "worked in" {messy} studio! So here goes it....



Last year, I had the book case, cabinets and counter built to store most of business and craft items. Only problem {as you can see}, I need more space. The book shelves were filled quickly with all my rug hooking and other craft related books.



This space doesn't even come close to storing all my hooking magazines.

In the plastic drawers, I have all my floss for punch needle.



I wanted a more contemporary feel to the space so I used a stainless steel looking formica for the countertop and a blue/gray color on the wall.



To save space, I had a light table built right into the countertop.



It works well for my smaller patterns but for my larger patterns, it is a little tricky drawing them. The counter/desktop also serves as my sewing space and computer table. Believe me, this area is a multi-functioning zone!





The lower cupboards are from IKEA and were a great price and function well. They also hide alot of my craft items.



You can see I've hung some of my favorite hooked altered art items on the side of the bookcase and wall.





These guys make me happy and shouldn't your creative space do that?

On the other bookcase, I've tacked in a few punch needles I've made.



The cat needle punch was gifted to me by Kelley Belfast and that doggone guy makes me grin everytime I look at him.

Panning to the left, you will see a shelving unit {also IKEA}.



I've added the colorful storage boxes to hide wool, yarn, and craft items.
Thanks for stopping by and checking out my studio.

Once I tackle the other side of the room, I'll share some photos with you. Til then, Maria

9 comments:

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

You call that 'messy'? Oh, my friend ~ I can show you messy! Not right now but sometimes it gets pretty bad. I love the built in light table ~ smart girl! And the Idea cabinets and the storage boxes and the stainless steel-like formica!! Good job ~ looks like a great work area to me! Your punch needle looks pretty darn good, too!

Kris Miller said...

Wait....I hope you are showing us the "cleaned up" version of your studio, because if that is what your mess looks like, you are one tidy gal. You ought to see the way my studio looks right now...then again, I'm glad you can't see it!!! LOL!!!

woolmaven said...

Your studio looks fantastic compared to my third floor, but then I have had a few more years to collect than you.

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

I Likey!!!! looks great,,,,and um....where's the mess?

can't wait to see the other side!
~Lori

Rugs and Pugs said...

Maria ~
Your workspace is wonderful. So light filled and airy!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

From Sherry's Heart said...

My Dear Maria, me thinks you don't know what messy is!!!!
Now I can show you messy,BUT I'd be way too embarrassed!!!!
I LOVE your "messy" place!!!
Sherry

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Great looking place to create! Doesn't look a bit messy to me.

Tammy Burks said...

Totally digging your hooking room! I've been in this house 15 years and still don't have mine the way I want it. Love that you have the built in light table....you've really put a lot of thought into it....love your lights as well!

Stacey Michaud said...

Can you tell me the name of your stainless steel like countertops? Thanks!