Monday, December 7, 2009

Tried Needle Punch for a change of pace...free pattern

After hooking like a mad woman to get the gift done for the baby shower (dog rug), I put away my hook for a punch needle project. I punched this little snowman for a hostess gift.
Photobucket
I put the snowman into a little shadow box frame I had bought a year or so ago for a buck at the dollar store. It had a chinese design in it which I removed and placed my punch needle into it.
Photobucket

Below is the pattern which I thought I'd share with you.

You are free to punch it or hook it....Just give me credit for the design. Also, here are the DMC floss colors that I used for the pattern: background, (597 & 598), snowman (644,822 & 3033),scarf (347 & 3328), hat, (black and dark gray), eyes and arm, (black), nose (orange).

Speaking of the dog rug, here is a picture of the finished rug. Photobucket My neice seemed to like it and the colors were perfect for her nursery. Around the border, I used the technique of beading and pulled colors from the dog (blue and brown). I also rolled several circles to add some whimsy to the rug which you see better in this picture. Photobucket
You can see where I added the rolled wool into the rug. I just love this technique and think it would be fun to do a sheep with the circles in it. Thanks to Alice of Kindred Spirits for showing me this great technique.

And just for fun, I was playing with one of the editing functions in photobucket and came up with the pop art picture.
Photobucket
Have a good week. Maria

10 comments:

WoolenSails said...

Your punch came out wonderfully. I am off the punch for a few days, that is what happens when you do too much with thicker wools. That dog rug is just too cute and love the border you added.

Debbie

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Cute needle punch snowman ~ and cute design ~ I will save that for future reference ~ THANK YOU!

WOOF is so cute ~ love the soft colors ~

Alice

Joanne said...

Love the punch Maria. The dog rug is adorable - Love how you did the circles.

Joanne said...

Love the punch Maria. The dog rug is adorable - Love how you did the circles.

kelley said...

WOOF is wonderful...such a happy, naive rug...that's some talent your little one has...

Thanks for the sweet snowman design...will be fun to punch...

Unknown said...

Thank you for the punch needle pattern, it is something I intend to try after the Christmas rush.
Your dog rug is just so perfect and I love the circles and border.
How do the circles stay in the rug?? I am a rug hooker and would love to use that in a rug.

katie

Boggy Creek Stitches & Loops said...

Great work! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the doggie!!!!!

HomeSpunPrims said...

Thank you for the darling snowman pattern Maria, and for the colors you used. Woof is such a sweet rug! I love the soft colors. How could your niece not love it?!

Rebecca said...

Your WooF is charming, Maria! As are all your rugs!

Thank You for the freebie pattern ~ What fun!

-Rebecca

Rugs and Pugs said...

WOOF is such a fun rug. I love your choice of colors.
Thank you for the snowman pattern. I will save it for a future use.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren